Sunday, May 19, 2024

1969 San Antonio Central Catholic alum McCann signs with NY Giants

Big Boy Takes A Giant Step

Tim McCann of Bronxville, a big boy from a big family, hopes to make it big with the New York football Giants this season.

"I'd sure like to make this club," said the 6-5, 256-pound Princeton University graudate during a "meet the draftees-free agents" luncheon staged by the Giants at Leone's Friday afternoon.

"I never gave professional football a thought until I entered Princeton four years ago," stated McCann.  "But ever since then, I've thought about a pro career, particularly one with the New York Giants.  They are wonderful people."

McCann, a first strong defensive tackle for the Tigers for two seasons, isn't quite sure just what position he'd like to play with the Giants.

"Anywhere, as long as it's on the defensive line.  I love defensive football," smiled McCann.

McCann is one of 11 children, eight boys and three girls, who moved to Bronxville from California a few months ago.  "I guess I'm the only member of the family who likes it here," he smiled yesterday.  "My seven brother sure miss California."

Born in Santa Fe, California, Tim graduated from Central Catholic High School in Texas.  In addition to football, he also earned varsity letters as a hammer thrower at Princeton.

A political science major, McCann is one of two Princetonians signed as free agents by the Giants.  The other is 6-3, 225-pound linebacker Richard Sandler of Levittown.

Source:  The Standard-Star, Saturday, March 1, 1969, Page 11

No comments:

Post a Comment